Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ready or Not...Here Christmas Comes

I am normally somewhat a creature of habit, order and principle. And one of those habits, principles, call it what you may, is that I have a VERY strict rule of no Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. I consider the weekend and/or week following Thanksgiving to official "decoration time". And not a moment before.

But, after hearing of so many people who already have all their decorations up and most of their Christmas presents bought, and after Zach kept asking when we would be decorating, I decided that I could bend a little. Gary is working on Saturday, and I thought, why not? If it makes Zach so excited and it really doesn't matter, why not?

Let me tell you that the excitement that my son has for Saturday is so huge, you would think I had told him we were celebrating Christmas then. He can't wait to get all of the decorations out. I even told him that we could bake Christmas cookies. I mean, any excuse for cookies is a good one, right?

Truthfully, I am still in serious disbelief that it really is that close to Christmas, and even if I get all my decorations up, I likely will wait a few weeks more to tackle Christmas presents. (We have some seriously hard people to shop for!!!!!) But I am all on board for making this Saturday as Christmas-y as possible. I am getting excited about it too.

So while we are preparing to celebrate and remember our many blessings at Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the tradition of Christmas in our home, because truthfully it gives us some of the familiarity that we have been missing due to our move. And I am thankful for the joy and excitement that it brings to my son's face...even if this is our first Christmas without Santa. The Spirit definitely has not been lost.

1 comment:

Lisa Renee said...

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOO~~ I am only giving in this Saturday b/c we are going out of town early Thurs. Its our family tradition to do it the night of Thanksgiving as we watch Christmas Vacation. We are having Trent's family Thanksgiving Wed. night and I am afraid if I wait until next week I will be too exhausted after school. I LOATHE Christmas music and decor before Thanksgiving and I seriously think I am the only one in Lubbock Texas who feels this way. I don't remember Ft.Worth being like this!