Much to my surprise, I am still sticking diligently to the whole half-marathon training thing. It is A LOT of walking. More than I have ever done. In my whole life. And I still have much more ahead. I am sure that my commitment level is helped by the fact that I have told so many people that I am doing it; there is no way I can back out now.
Well, friends, let me tell you that all of this walking has given me plenty of time to do thinking. (And observing. Oh, the observing I have done. I mean, when you walk past someone's house 3-4 times a week, you learn things!) I have thought about politics, and the current national financial crisis...neither of which I wish to use my blog as a forum to talk about. I have thought about my plans for the week. I have thought about points I learned in my Bible study. I have thought about my dirty tile floors. You know, just pretty much everything that you can imagine, I have done some thinking on.
And then there is the health aspect of this whole walking thing. I am finally shedding a few nasty pounds that I just couldn't seem to shake. I am feeling more energetic. I am eating healthier than ever (because after you work THAT hard, you hate to ruin it with empty calories).
And best of all, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment in knowing that I have set a goal to do something more than I have ever done and that I am getting closer and closer to reaching it. Every time I walk one more mile than I did the last time, there is this part of me that says, "wow, I did that!".
But there is a downside to this training also. It has meant arranging my schedule around my training. It has sometimes meant getting up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning. It has meant being out in the heat when I wanted to be inside sipping on some iced tea. It has meant I keep going even after every joint and muscle in my body is screaming for me to take a break.
But do you know the most important lesson I have learned through my training? Don't stop. I can keep on going even through the pain, but once I stop, the motivation, adrenaline and willingness fades away.
Isn't this true of our Christian lives as well? There are tremendous benefits of pressing ahead, and there are hardships, but we must never, never stop. We risk the great temptation of resting for so long that we just won't get back into the race. I pray that this week each of you has the stamina, strength and encouragement you need to keep racing ahead to the Ultimate Goal!
2 comments:
WAY to go Jenn! That is such a great goal and I am so glad you are sticking with it. Thanks for the inspiration and great post tonight. I needed that. I have always been that person that did things like that, but it changed a few months ago with the babies. I hope to get my stamina back very soon! Hope to see you this week. :)
I love this post, very much needed the last paragraph. I am excited for you!
Post a Comment