Saturday, June 27, 2009

Taking Inventory

Well there is nothing to really motivate you to pack like an actual date on the calendar. I spent part of the weekend visiting Gary, and when I got home today, I got busy packing boxes in our kitchen so that I can carry them with me the next time I go see him because that will be the day that we get keys to our "new" home (for the next year).

It has also caused me to seriously evaluate the things that are in my cabinets. I have found things that I guess I unpacked and put in those cabinets that have not been used once. Well, I am not packing them again. They are on their way to Goodwill this week! We probably won't ever have as much cabinet space as this kitchen had (it had over double the cabinet space of any house I have ever seen!), so I am very realistic in knowing that I can't take all of this stuff with me anyway. And if we are not using it, it is no good keeping it in the back of a cabinet.

I am learning that some of those must-have kitchen gadgets are still in their original boxes or have been used only a handful of times. I am wondering why I have duplicates and triplicates of some things. I am looking at dishes that I didn't even know I had wondering where they came from. All of these things are going away. They will never see a packing box and they certainly won't see my new home.

Even Zach is getting into the purging mode. He was happily helping me bag up stuff that he no longer has a need for. I think he found it as cathartic as I did!

My goal is that given the luxury of time that I have on my side (yes, I am choosing to focus on the positive....today!) I can go through and evaluate each and every item before it is packed away, and I am hoping we will be moving much less than we moved here, and that what is moved will actually have a purpose.

Somehow when I realize this goal, it makes the packing even easier, knowing that the unpacking will be much more simple!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

We weren't that good! We are going to have a huge garage sell when I get a chance...we need to get rid of it anyway. Hope your move goes smoothly. We are about to move into our place too! yay!

Lisa Renee said...

YOU GO GIRL! I think its funny and neat at the same time that Zach has gotten your orginizational skills at such a young age! Ask Gary if he remembers Cary Beard from ACU. He and his wife and kids now live in Abilene... we know them from ACU but even more so from when we were at Prestoncrest in Dallas. I think the go to Southern Hills. They are a super sweet and fun family. You can click on the link on my blog roll- Beards. I am still praying for a smooth move and such! Take Care~