Let me back up. It was about 10:10 pm. I was about to settle into my night time routine, solo since Gary is working the night shift and is at the hospital.
Zach was tucked in. I had let him stay up until 10 because Star Wars, the original one, was on T.V. and he really wanted to watch it. Although I was all gun-ho about us getting back on a school schedule, I decided it is still summer and an extra hour or so wouldn't be the end of the world. (Because a wise family minister once told me that I should never say no when you can say yes.)
So I step into my bathroom and walk over toward the toilet to feel "squish". The bathroom rug is soaked. And I mean soaked as in I didn't know it could hold that much water. And the floor is covered in water. And the toilet has the tell-tale wad of toilet paper and full of water look to it.
So I walk back into Zach's bedroom and ask him if he was aware that my toilet had over flowed. He said yes, that he tried to flush it a few times and when he saw that the water was coming up high, he put down the lid to stop it, so he didn't think any water had gotten on the floor.
And I suggested to him that in the future: a) he not use half the roll of toilet paper, and b) he come tell me if this occurs or even looks like it might occur again, and c) the lid doesn't stop the water. I was thankful that I was in my calm mommy state!
And so I soaked up all the water and tried to assess the situation. Then I did what every smart mommy does.
I texted Gary to call me!
We agreed that I could just leave it alone until he gets home tomorrow and we laughed about the water-stopping abilities of toilet lids.
And so I have just finished mopping the floor. And all the while remembering that whether they are 7 months or 7 years old, a mother's job is never done!
No comments:
Post a Comment