Friday, February 05, 2010

Growing Pains

About two weeks ago, Zach came home from school with a small cup with "soil" (later to be explained) and a few pinto beans. The assignment was simple enough, so it seemed. Grow a bean plant. Document the growth as it sprouts. Bring it back to school. Piece of cake, right?

Not in the house that has yet to keep any plant alive beyond 6 months!!!!!

I did exactly as I was instructed, trying not to concern myself that this "soil" was more sticks than dirt (I have later decided that it is probably mulch). We planted our seeds, kept the cup lightly watered, kept it on a sunny window sill and waited. I had a bad feeling about it from the start. My instincts were right on. After two weeks, nothing.

I asked around. Most everyone else had the same problem, with one slight difference. When they dug their beans up to check, theirs were starting to sprout. When I dug ours up it looked just like it did when I put it there! What's a Mom to do?

Well, a Type-A Mom like me goes to Lowes and buys Super Miracle Grow soil, new beans and tries to ask the salespeople for advice.

So I told the guy who was checking us out our situation and asked his advice. "Did you keep it near a light source?" he asked. Yes. "Did you keep it watered, but not over water?" he asked. Yes. "Hmmm...well I don't know what to tell you." Wow, thanks!

The elderly, hard of hearing man who was next to me wanted to offer his advice. "You should have no trouble growing that. People have grown beans in these parts for years. You need to wait until spring to plant, though, and keep the plants six to twelve inches apart." Again, thanks!

After several hours of googling, I have settled on the following plan. We have two types of beans: lima and pinto. We have multiple methods, and their respective combos: starting in baggies with paper towels, starting in jars with paper towels, starting in moist soil, soaking overnight. And we have multiple locations: laundry room window, kitchen window and kitchen countertop.

I am determined to grow something, somewhere, somehow. I currently have a small greenhouse looking thing going on in my kitchen, but I am determined that we will succeed.

And just as a back-up plan....does anyone know where you can buy just sprouted bean plants???

3 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

That is hillarious. You are such a good mnom to go to all that trouble though! Hope you have some success in one of those places.. surely you will!!! How is the house hunting going?

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Just for the record (you don't have to tell Zach or his teacher) I think that's the dumbest home assignment I've ever heard of. Those things never sprout...and we keep stuff alive here all the time:) You're great for trying, it ends up being more work for you than him. Good luck, I hope something works for you.

The Binkley Family said...

Lisa- House hunting is good. We looked at a house Tuesday that we are going to look at again tomorrow. We really like it!