Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let the Countdown Begin

We are counting down the days until school starts around here...well, I am at least. Zach is just completely bored out of his mind, and thankfully he is excited about starting first grade because he is hoping he will "learn a lot more than he did in kindergarten." The thought of adding science, PE and music to his day is making him very excited, and so we are all looking much more forward to school than we did this time last year. And hopefully my ears will get a break from the recently-banned phrase "I'm bored."

Since I am not going back to preschool in the fall, I have been asked by lots of people what in the world I will do with my time. Well, let me tell you friends, I am still full of activities...enough activities that I am not taking on any new ones. I will be plenty busy. And the laundry and dishes and meals will always be there to keep me in check. I am making a commitment to not overload myself this year, and so I have the activities I am involved in, and I have decided that if I want to add something new, I must take away something else. I have learned, after all, that there are only 24 hours in a day.

The Binkley family has been pretty well glued to the Olympics in the evenings, and I have not gotten in bed before midnight all week. I can't help it...I get so into watching the gymnastics or swimming and I can't sleep until I know the outcome. Thank goodness it is only every 2 years! (I also love ice skating!!! Who hasn't danced around their kitchen in their socks envisioning themselves as the greatest ice skater in the world?)

Zach's birthday is also just around the corner. We are planning his birthday party to be a week from Sunday at the bowling alley. (We don't have a lot of options here in our small town.) Zach decided he wanted the plates, napkins, etc to all having bowling balls, which I found. I started a tedious tradition of hand-making his birthday invitations when he turned one. Now I find myself about to paint 12 styrofoam balls so that I can make them look like bowling balls for the invitations! Oh, the things moms do for their kiddos.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

That will be so fun to have most of your day free to do activities or housework. Thanks for inviting me last night. I had fun with you girls.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I think you have a great plan for this year. It's amazing how fast our time fills up, even when the kids are gone. Already people are asking if I'll go back to work once the girls are in Kinder (not until next year). I just say, I'm a mom. Just because my kids go to school doesn't mean they stop needing me.

It's been my experience, with many different ages of kids, that your kids need you the most when they are in school. It's harder to parent when you aren't in control of 80% of their time. Just MHO.

Another note: did you get my really long e-mail about WW a couple weeks ago? I've been having trouble with my account and I've wondered if you received it. Let me know.

Laura said...

Doesn't someone else in your house have a birthday coming up, too??

The Binkley Family said...

yeah, but her birthday hasn't counted for much in the last seven years...LOL

Lisa Renee said...

sounds like fun lil invites! you are very fortunate to have the option to do what you are doing! you will be expected to entertain us with your writing and pictures of the party! miss you.....

fitzgeraldfive said...

can't wait to PARTY with you at Academy Lanes I think we should just do yours too. And girl I'm with you on the kids starting school, we'll PARTY on the 25th too.