I am LOVING all of the walking that I have been doing. It has really been one of the best things I ever did, and having a goal set helps me keep up the determination. One month to go, and things are really looking good. I feel confident that I can do it, finally.
It has been a long time since I set a goal that I really had to work that hard for. Isn't that sad? I set little goals that I know I can meet, because they don't really make me work that hard. Sure, there is some adjusting to be done, but nothing like the adjustments that go into a big goal. The re-arrange your schedule and re-prioritize adjustments.
The best thing about goals is that you are always looking ahead toward something. You have an excitement and dedication because without that, you won't reach your goal. You decide to cut out other stuff that would hinder your goal. You work a little every day toward your goal.
When I originally set out to walk this half-marathon, I wasn't really sure that I could do it. But I have so many friends who are also doing it, it lit a fire under me and before long, I was so dedicated (and so addicted), even if I was on my own I still did the training. Now, my walks are so much a part of my routine, I don't even think about it. It's not like when I used to go to the gym and I would wake up and think, "Do I really want to go today?" I get up, put my workout clothes and walking shoes on, and as soon as I have dropped Zach off for school, I am out doing my walk. It has become a part of who I am.
One of the reasons I love walking is because it is helping make me a better person, both physically and mentally. It definitely has been the best exercise (sorry, gym membership, but really--it has!) and it has been the best "therapy". It gives me time to clear my head, think things through and release stress. I am seeing the results. And when you see results, you want to keep doing something. It motivates you.
And I am also learning that it is worth "putting it out there" and setting some other big goals for my life. Because big goals mean big changes and big results.
3 comments:
That is a great goal! That is awesome that you have stuck with it! :) I love doing things like that. Way to go! Wish we could be there to see you walk it. We won't be able to make that trip.
That's great! Congrats on working toward your goal and following through! It's motivating to me to set a goal as well!
congratulations! goal setting is wonderful. yes, the working out seems to make things clearer and it is great when it becomes a part of you. i feel so guilty when i miss my run. it has really help me put things in perspective.
what 1/2 marathon are you doing?
Post a Comment