Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A Glimpse Into the Future

Part of the transitional period for Gary's new job has meant that he would not be working for at least a month to two months. We knew that going in, and we kind of were looking forward to it. He had not taken vacation time in over a year, and so we felt this was a much needed break after the long hours he had been working.

Gary has been calling it early retirement. That has meant that he got to get a little glimpse into what it might be like to be retired. And me too, for that matter.

I will be honest. I was a little worried about this. We have not known life together without his crazy schedule. He was in med school when we met and many of our "dates" consisted of me seeing him during study breaks. And life didn't get any slower after med school. So in the back of my head I wondered what life 24/7 together would be like. Would he drive me crazy? Would we stare at each other all day with nothing to say?

Nope. It has been so fun!

Gary and I have been doing all kinds of projects around the house. We have gone out to lunch several times and eaten lunch at school with Zach. He has witnessed what my schedule looks like and just what it takes to keep our home running. He has seen what grocery shopping looks like and just why we end up with $150 of stuff and a few days later have nothing to eat. I have seen what he can do around the house...and am so impressed! It has almost been like dating all over again.

The great thing about this new job is that Gary will have days that he works 12 hour shifts, in three to four-day blocks and then the same amount of time off. And when he is off, he will really be home. No call, no pager. Just off work. So that means there are more of these fun days ahead for us for years to come.

And I couldn't be more thrilled.

4 comments:

Kerri Thompson said...

That is awesome. There are so many couples that have their fear of nothing to say to or do with their spouse come true. Hope the transition and move continue to go smoothly.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

My friend's husbans is an ER doctor with a similar schedule and they love it. I imagine it takes some getting used to, but they love it. They live in a big town with a big university and he gets all kinds of perks like "working" the games as the on call doctor when he's not scheduled. They also go on a cruise every summer where he "works" with a couple of other docs for the duration of the cruise.

Kristen said...

What a special time for you, I pray that everything goes smoothly as you transition into your new city. :) I would love to hang out all day with my hubby, so fun!!!

realitymomma said...

So nice and jelaous! However, we are enjoying spring break together - if that counts????

have you found out where you are moving - can you say?