Zach started back to school today, and so we are gradually easing back into our routine again. No more sleeping in for me! I did REALLY enjoy it, but it is also good to be back to our usual schedule too. I have two more weeks before I start back. This semester, since I had a little more time, I ordered most of my textbooks online. Every day I get a package, which is kind of fun, except that none of the books are particularly exciting (Ethics, Statistics...what a fun semester I have ahead of me!)
One of our heating units decided to quit working the Thursday before New Years. This, of course, is how things work in our home. Things always give out before a holiday weekend. (See Exhibit A for a recap of that.) A repairman showed up at my door finally at around 5:15 on Thursday, and after he spent a considerable amount of time negotiating between his cell phone calls (he had to make New Years plans, after all) and looking at my heating unit, he determined the problem. And then he told me the news I was sure I would hear. The parts store was closed for the holiday weekend. Oh, and he didn't have a good flashlight, so he would be back Monday morning to get the info off of our unit to order the part. Since this unit primarily heats our master bedroom and bathroom, thankfully we were able to deal with the fact that we would have to wait.
But this morning, as I sat around literally putting everything on hold in anticipation of the repairman's return, I decided around 10:30 am that I should call and check. Sure enough, he wouldn't be back until the afternoon. And then when 4 pm rolled around, and I needed to leave in an hour to take Zach to basketball practice, I called again to learn that he had planned to stop by around 5, which would not work for me. So he is supposed to come by at 9 tomorrow morning. What are the odds that I have heat restored by the end of the week? I am just SOOO thankful that it isn't the unit that heat our main rooms or I would be very angry at this point.
While I was waiting for the repairman, Gary asked me if I planned to change out of my yoga pants and sweatshirt. (This has been my official uniform for the last week...and I loved it.) He said they looked like pajamas. I informed him that every time I go to Wal-mart there are herds of people who really are in their pajamas, right down to slippers. While I really do not understand this phenomenon, when I realized I was lumping myself in that category, I decided I might should change clothes. My husband was right. Frumpy was so last year....or last week. However you want to slice it.
So what do I want from the new year of 2011? (Besides a working heating unit!?!?) I swore off resolutions several years ago. But I do set goals, and so in looking at the goals I have set, I really just want the same things that I wish for every year. I want my family to be safe and healthy, I want to grow deeper in my faith, and I want to use every day to its fullest potential. I think that pretty much sums it all up.
Happy New Year!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment