It is interesting that of all the things I chose to mention in my last post, I mentioned plumbing being a blesssing. I guess the Lord has a sense of humor in such matters, or perhaps He felt that I needed to take my own advice because at 5:00pm Wednesday, I discovered a small puddle in my laundry room. It was just in front of a utility sink that we have, and I knew that I had not spilled any water, so I opened up the cabinet underneath the sink to discover a lot of water everywhere. I could see that it was up underneath the floor and couldn't quite determine the source of the water. I decided to go outside since this wall is an outside wall and discovered that water was soaking that part of the foundation and the ground. Not good....
I called Gary, who was of course on call, and he told me to turn off the water underneath the sink. I soaked up all of the water, and hoped that I had fixed the problem. Within a few hours, I discovered a bunch more water under the sink. I finally figured out that the hot water pipe that leads to the washing machine was leaking and put a pan underneath it until Gary could run home between patients. We got a temporary fix on the pipe, deciding that calling a plumber on Thanksgiving would be costly. Our fix meant that I could not wash clothes or dishes and that our guest bathroom would not be available. That would have been okay except that we had some of Gary's family coming to stay with us Friday night through Sunday, and Gary was on call Saturday and Sunday.
Luckily, they were very understanding about it and were able to use our shower. We spent the weekend eating out so that I would have as few dishes piling up as possible. On Sunday, a friend of ours came over and fixed the pipe for us, which I was so grateful for! I am able to wash clothes and dishes now and really appreciate that. We do still have a tiny mystery leak which Gary has not had the time to look at, but I think we can get worked out sometime this week. At least it is barely dripping and can be contained with a small bowl.
We did have a good Thanksgiving despite the plumbing setback. We spent Thursday with my family and had a great time seeing everyone. On Thursday night, Gary, my dad and Zach went to my dad's land to hunt. My mom and I got up at 4:30 and started shopping at 5 am. I don't know how I managed to get my lazy bones out of bed that early, but we actually were able to get quite a bit accomplished when we started shopping that early. By noon, we were ready to return home. We left my parents house after lunch and met Gary's mom, grandmother, sister and nephew here at our house. Zach and my nephew had a blast playing together. I am glad that they are only two years apart. Since Gary was on call the entire weekend, he missed out on seeing them much, but Zach and I had a great time. It is nice to be a little closer to them so that they can actually make the trip to see us. We plan to head their way around Christmas time.
Of course now I am way behind on laundry, so that it is what today is dedicated to. My friend and I are planning to have a garage sale together on Saturday because I badly need to get rid of some stuff. With the warm weather outside, and my crazy cleaning, it almost feels unbelievable that it is now Christmas time. I had started decorating on Sunday, but am having trouble due to the fact that we are in a new place and nothing has a "home" yet, and also due to the fact that it really doesn't feel like Christmas yet! Hopefully with the cold snap we are supposed to have Thursday, I can get more in the mood!
No comments:
Post a Comment