I have added a new ticker to the blog today. Zach and I are literally counting down the days until Spring Break. We are both longing for a whole week of sleeping in, relaxing and having fun. (Gary will have to work that week, unfortunately.)
Kindergarten has been good in a lot of ways, and tough in other ways. For one thing, Zach is bored with some of the curriculum, such as introduction of letters week by week. It is inconceivable to him...and until recently, me too....that children ages five and six don't know all 26 letters. Sadly, this is very much the case. So it is necessary for the class to take one letter a week in depth until all of the class learns their letters. Meanwhile, Zach is bored with all of it, but thankfully he is enduring it pretty well. Also thankfully, his teacher recognizes the individual needs of all of her students and she has allowed Zach and some of the other students to work toward becoming independent readers. Zach has come a long way with his reading, and he is doing very well. He is also improving his handwriting skills. This was a great joy to me as he addressed all 23 valentines this week.
Although he pretty much enjoys school, he is definitely getting to the point in the year of burnout. He is just ready to be back home for a while, playing. He wants to have friends over more often. Yesterday he asked me about when he would get a vacation day and so we discussed that Spring Break is coming up, and so we decided we would count down the days like we did for Christmas.
I am also pretty much to the point of burnout with preschool. I find myself wishing I could be at home, wishing I could get some things done. I still have a few closets and cabinets that I want to organize, and haven't had the time to do it yet. (Yes, sick as it may seem, I look forward to such tasks!) My Tuesdays and Thursdays easily fill with going to the gym, all of the errands, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. And I also look forward to hitting snooze on the alarm clock as many times as I want. And hanging around the house in my pj's for a 24 hour period. And curling up on the couch with a good book. And playing games with Zach.
So, Spring Break, hurry fast! We need you and want you and look forward to your arrival!
2 comments:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you teach preschool, i teach seniors - is there a difference? they are so ready to leave, it makes it really hard to teach them. however, i don't need a ticker to count down, they inform me every day how long until graduation!
Post a Comment