When Gary and I were first dating, I learned that he did not like cheese. (Just a few months before, I had proudly announced to some of my friends that cheese was my favorite food.) As I pondered what life with someone who did not like cheese would be like, I continued to date and of course fall in love with Mr. No-Cheese. But as time marched on, I also learned that he did not like anything creamy, or really anything that would be found in the dairy aisle.
What is it they say, opposites attract?
When Mr. No-Cheese and Ms. Loves-Cheese got together, it meant compromise. With a side of complaining and embarrassment. You see, when we plan to have dinner at someone's house , there is the inevitable discussion: (Did you ask ahead to see what we would be having? Of course, I did not--I would never be so rude. Can you somehow let them know that I don't eat cheese? No...I won't...well, okay....I will see what I can do.) Because no one wants to show up and have the awkward moment where your husband won't touch his plate.
Dinnertime at our house? Well, it is a little different than most. We do not eat casseroles. In fact, I recently discovered that my son has never eaten anything with melted cheese on it. (Aside from a grilled cheese sandwich....I have trained him to eat cheese.) We eat mostly meat and veggies with very little frills. There are no sauces or gravies in this house. We do not have the all-American side of mac 'n cheese. (Interestingly enough, the man loves pizza, as long as it has meat on it...figure that one out!)
Cookbooks? Almost useless to me. There are very few recipes that I can use from them. I love them and collect them, just dreaming of all the things I could cook up under less restrictive conditions. And I use them for Bunko and when I make dinner for people at our church...people who appreciate good creamy/cheesy food.
Now, what you might ask, have I gotten in exchange for giving up my cheesy dishes at home? Well, I like to think of it as the diet plan I never intended on having. We eat a LOT healthier than I probably ever would dream of otherwise, so really it is a blessing in disguise!
And so that is how we became the least cheesy family you will ever meet...in a dietary sense, mind you!!!!
5 comments:
and to think he wants me to make brandon eat everything!! ha ha
OK, I've been blog-stalking you for a little while now, but I must chime in on this one - also being a cheese-lover. I'm guessing you must really love him. I haven't yet found a man worth giving up cheese for :) The healthy lifestyle is good...but seriously! Glad the no-cheese thing hasn't been passed down to your son :) (By the way, I've known Gary all my life so he can tell you who I am. Found this blog through a friend and have had fun reading about y'all!) I hope you at least get to order a cheesy meal when he takes you out on dates - which he better!! :)
Wow, that is kinda sad. I do know a person, Jennifer Herring, whom Gary knows too, that also dislikes cheese and even orders a pizza without it! Talk about a weird looking pizza! Her husband does not think its real funny but she still maekse things with cheese for him occassionally I believe. I have been on the low carb thing since I had Ty so I would die without it!!!!
This anti-cheese stance has perplexed me for years. Who couldn't love a creamy, cheesy, yummy casserole or a nice slab of cheddar on a Ritz. He would starve at our house! Good side effect though with the healthy food!
i can relate to gary! i cannot eat chunks of cheese. i only eat it melted. i do not like creamy things such as cream cheese, cool whip, mayo, ranch, yogurt and all that good stuff. now i can eat it melted and queso is a staple product at our house, but that's where it stays with cheese. yes, it is healthy that i don't like all that stuff - unfortunatly i found replacements!
Post a Comment