Sunday, January 18, 2009

Save the Date--If You Can Find It

Last year, one of the best decisions I ever made was to get a little calendar that fit in my purse so that I could keep track of appointments, events and promises. (You know like...yes, I can bring 2 dozen cookies on Friday.) It worked really well. For one thing, I had a visual of how hairy my week was and got better at saying "no". For another thing, I rarely if ever forgot about something....as long as it was written in my calendar.

So during the last week of December, I knew I needed to buy a new one to begin 2009 off right. But my choices in Walmart were quite limited....and Walmart is really my only choice here. So I picked up what I thought would work.

We are now into the third week of January and I am almost certain I am going to have to replace it. This is why: (1) the calendar does not have much room to write on, and (2) it is arranged Monday-Sunday, instead of Sunday-Saturday. This might not be a problem for some people, but it is a huge problem for me.

I write appointments on the wrong days every time, and I have a photographic memory, so when I see my week in my mind, I am constantly getting off by one day because I forget about the calendar arrangement. It was really embarrassing when I had to call my doctor back after I had made an appointment because I couldn't find the right spot to write it on my calendar while I was making it.

So, since I am in quest of a new calendar, I would like to know how all of my bloggy friends keep up with their schedules. Does anyone have a great system that they use?

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I have a planner/calendar, but mine is bigger and it stays at home. It works well! I don't have much on my calendar having twins and it being sick season. I don't have to worry about a hairy week around here. There is usually 1-2 things a week to do.

Laura said...

Goodness knows I don't have any tips for staying organized, but I do have a calendar you can have. It
is one my mom sent me and I won't use it because like Kristen, I don't have that much going on these days! It's a Lang spiral calendar. Let me know if you want it!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Well, I carry a calendar in my purse, too. It's the only way our family doesn't get double booked.

I also have a bigger, desktop sized one hanging in the office that I write every. little. thing. on. I even save the pages because they are so helpful when getting our taxes together (if you fall into the self employed category).

The only problem I have is making sure that everything on the purse calendar makes it on to the big calendar and vice versa.

And for the record, calendars that go Monday through Sunday are just sick and wrong. I hate them.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Oh no! That is tough when systems do not mesh.. They may have a selection of nice day planners on line at Amazon of Franklin Covey

realitymomma said...

i must not be a "scheduled" person. i have lots of calendars, but i would do better if i actually used them!