Friday, January 30, 2009

Setting the Stage

I had forgotten how much work and planning goes into a move. I should have memories of this, since we have done it so much over the years, but perhaps I had suppressed those memories until now. I am constantly making list after list of what I need to get done by "x" date. First order of business for me is getting the house ready to sell. I have seriously contemplated emailing a HGTV or TLC show relentlessly until they agree to come help me with the "staging" that I keep hearing is so essential.

But THEN I remembered all of my sweet friends, and the moving that they have all recently done and I decided I would lean on you instead. What advice can you give me about getting a home ready to sell?

4 comments:

realitymomma said...

i am sure your house is beautiful and fine. where are you moving to? we are selling our house, but b/c we need more space! listen to the realtor, they will tell you comments the clients make when they come through. fix what people comment on. good luck! the economy makes it harder, but be patient.

Kristen said...

Take down all family pics and have a list of cleaning. I had our house on the market for over 4 months and I would have a list so that it was always clean.
Like for example:
Mondays-clean all bathrooms
Tues-dust
you get the point. I would that list every week so I that I made sure 1 thing got cleaned that week. Then it wouldn't stack up to one day of Mega cleaning.
Also, I would always pick up before I went to bed...the WHOLE house. It was a task, but you can do it. :) If you need help let me know.

Kristen said...

oh yeah, I organized all my closets and took a lot of stuff out and put it in the attic. You want your closets close to empty. :)

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

We started packing as soon as we knew we wanted to move. You get rid of the clutter in your house and you have a great start when it actually comes time to leave.