Sunday, October 04, 2009

All Washed Up

Did I mention that my dishwasher quit working about a week and a half ago? Well... actually, and this is the icky part that I don't allow myself to dwell on too much, it might have not been functioning longer than that. I just caught it about a week and a half ago. The pump that drains the water quit working and it was not fully draining.

This led to a LOT of soap built up at the bottom and a LOT of suds and huge headache! (I spent five hours... and no I am not exaggerating... alternately scooping suds and refilling the dishwasher to try to get them all out... and there are still some in there! I even got a huge bruise on my knee from being on it for so long!)

But thankfully we are in a rent house, so all I had to do was pick up the phone.

Unfortunately, we are in a rent house, so things don't always get handled at the pace I would like them to get handled.

I have been hand-washing dishes for over a week awaiting the new dishwasher to come on Friday...and that delivery was cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow. Can I tell you how excited I am about tomorrow? (Who else thinks that between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm is not really a "window" of time to plan for a delivery to arrive?)

Initially when I realized we would be without a dishwasher I had decided that was the perfect excuse to not cook for a long time, but I am married to a man who likes a home-cooked meal most nights, so we have been eating on paper plates and trying to use as few dishes as possible, but I have still had to do quite a bit of hand washing.

It makes me realize how much of a luxury a dishwasher is. You know, the things I take for granted like dishwashers, washing machines, vacuums... things that mommies of days past didn't have.

And it makes me laugh when the delivery of a dishwasher is truly a much-anticipated exciting event. It makes my mommy/homemaker status so official that I can't help but laugh.

No comments: