Sunday, October 18, 2009

Not About Dishwashers

I don't want to talk about dishwashers again, and I am sure no one wants to hear any more about them, either, but I still do not have one...

So I will instead tell you what we have been doing around here.

Gary had an unusual schedule this month and so he has been working a lot lately, but will be off all of this week. (And yes, in case you are wondering, I do have a list for him...but I will respect his need to space such things out on his time table! I am learning...I can be taught!) He is anxiously awaiting the opening weekend of deer season.

Zach is well in to the second six weeks of second grade and appalled that the local stores have their Christmas stuff out when we "haven't even had Halloween yet." Bless his heart. He is also still busy with soccer, which is winding down quickly. Our last game is on the 31st.

I have been enjoying attending a variety of Bible studies, luncheons, etc. to get to know as many women in our new hometown as I can. I will be honest. There are moments where I still am in denial that we live here now. It is not always real to me. Sometimes, in the back of my head, I think that any day now we will pack up and go "home." Perhaps some of that will settle out when we actually own a house that I can do what I want with and make into our home. And I am sure that the longer we are here, and the more relationships that we make, I will also begin to feel our roots take hold.

Last weekend, we went for an overnight trip to see our old football team play our new football team. We got to spend the night with some of our friends, and see many others. It was so familiar and nice, and there was a part of me that instinctually wanted to pull into "my driveway" at the end of the evening. And so it was weird to realize that I don't live there and won't live there again. And it was sad and hard for us to head back to our new "home". But I know that in time, this will be ever much our home and that is something that takes time.

We have a Halloween party that we are getting ready for and I am still brainstorming ideas for costumes for Gary and I. (Especially since he was not as enthusiastic as I had hoped when I mentioned it to him.) I haven't decided yet what we will be, but will definitely post pictures after Halloween night. Zach picked his out a few weeks ago...a Star Wars Storm Trooper. Gone are the days when Mom has much input into the costumes!

I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: