Thursday, December 07, 2006

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas


Yesterday at Ladies' Bible Class, we packed gift bags for the shut-ins. I have gotten to know one of the elderly ladies in the group (she recently turned 80), and she and I decided to go together to deliver some of them today when Zach could join us. Delivering those bags, seeing all of those smiling faces, and seeing all of their Christmas decorations has finally gotten me into the Christmas mood. It was just the nudge I needed, because it was the true meaning of Christmas. It was nothing expensive, nor fancy. It was just taking the time out of my day to do something for someone else.

I guess part of me has been sad to reflect on what Christmas has become. I just got done selling a bunch of toys that Zach has outgrown, and I certainly don't think he needs any more. What I was able to teach Zach today was how important his smile, his hugs and his time can be to other people. I want him to know that there are more important things in life than material things. I was so proud of him because he was not scared of a single person. He was kind and loving and talked with them. He gave out hugs no matter how timid he might have been around the person. I want Zach to know that we are here to show Christ's love to all and I want him to know how to do that.

While I enjoy the decorations, the music and the lights, I mostly love spending this month doing good for others. I hope it kicks off a new year of more service to others. That is what we are here to do.

3 comments:

A D said...

Amen, I am so proud of you. That is such a wonderful act of Christ's love. You do a great job of sharing it.

realitymomma said...

you have always given to others - you dedicate so much time to teaching and and decorating classes and helping others out! you do more than you think....

zac is just a little man. what a great christmas picture. i am sure in 10 years he will love the christmas vest. enjoy dressing him now while he lets you!!!!! ha! ha!

realitymomma said...

you have always been a giver and dedicated person. you do more than you think.

what a priceless picture. enjoy those now, that christmas vest might not last too many more years... syd already argues about clothing. i could hardly get her to wear the dress in our pics, she wanted to wear gouchos. (i did not have a shirt to match the rest of us or it would not have been a problem)