Thursday, January 04, 2007

Where?

Despite the fact that I currently serve in the capacities of: errand runner, chef, maid, childcare provider, etc. I have recently discovered that my most important role to the two boys in my life is to answer the constant "where" questions.

-Where is my hat?
-Where are my shoes?
-Where is that shirt that I wanted to wear? (and I guess, occasionally the additonal task is to read minds as well....)
( you get the idea....)

When I worked, I was probably the most organized person at my office. I knew where almost anything in my office could be found and could get it within seconds. I was very meticulous with where every file, every paperclip, every note was kept. Now I live at my "work" and it is certainly a different tale. It is not neat as a pin here, but I am continually working on it. I am hoping to get things even more organized in the months ahead. It is also driving me crazy to not be able to get my hands on things within seconds, particularly the more I hear these "where" questions. (But truthfully, some of this is beyond my control.)

I have tried to instill the importance of putting things up where they belong to my son, in the hopes that the next time he is looking for it he can find it without my assistance. He is doing better. What I cannot seem to overcome is the apparent Y-chromosome deficiency in the ability to look well and think through where something might be located. For instance, if I cannot find my shoes, but my pants and shirt that I took off yesterday are still laying in my floor, I might look under them in hopes of finding my shoes. Or for another example, if I know that the cell phone charger is usually kept in the third drawer by the fridge, I might check that drawer first thing.

But then I keep telling myself that if this house were organized like my office was, those "where" questions would almost disappear. So here is my plan. I am going to go to a real store this weekend. ( I am thinking Target or Linens N Things.) I am going to purchase all of the closet and drawer organizers I can get my hands on. I am going to zone the house and make everything as logical and orderly as one can. I am going to conquer the Y-chromosome deficiency with logic. The Y-chromosome loves logic! I am going to continue instilling this revolutionary concept of putting things up where they belong.

But then, I come to my senses and realize that no matter how organized I get, these two will still rely on me in their time of need. And that is what I am here for...to be there for the boys I love. (And if a closet organizer makes me feel better at that, then so be it!)

1 comment:

Lisa Renee said...

I bought some, quite nice actually, varous items for Trent to keep his wallet, keys, and sunglasses. Getting him to acutally use them...........another story. He loses something important on a daily basis. Things just dissappear and he actually thinks it has something to do with me! I also used to be VERY organized. Lived my life by a planner. Today- not so much. That is all I have to say about that.