Thursday, March 01, 2007

Something Is Just Not Right

Is it me, or is everything in the world just getting more and more askew?

I cannot watch the news without being made aware of Anna Nicole's court/burial/daughter update. Granted, I have been known to keep up with all of the celebrity news, but in the last few years, it has just completely gotten over the top. I shudder to imagine what it will be like in a few more years. I can't figure out why celebrities intrigue us so much, but it has become almost all-consuming. When CNN and Fox News are reporting on celebrity news continuously, you have to wonder what the world is coming to. Surely there are more pressing world issues.

Today on the MSN homepage, where I frequently check for news stories, there was an article on the ten women to be praised and the ten women who should be ashamed. It turns out that the premise was that the ten women who were to be admired were those who were very "feminist" and those who were criticized were largely those who supported women staying at home. (Now, truthfully, there were a few celebrities on that list as well who deserved a little criticism for their recent antics.) What bothered me about this article is that not only did it really put down those who advocate for the "traditional" family, but it made those of us who might agree with that viewpoint seem like idiots. I have been a working mom, and I currently am a stay-at-home mom. They are both very difficult roles. But let me tell you that from my experience, being at home is the best thing for my family. There was a time when it was financially not feasible for me to stay home, and so I worked. The struggle to balance wife, mom and career is crippling. I could never seem to do any of them as well as I would have liked to. So, I wonder why the media has to criticize those who have decided that staying home is best for their family. If you look back to the correlation between the American culture and the feminist movement, it is definitely eye-opening. It would appear that the rise of the feminist movement also brought along the decline of the family and Christian morals. But then I am not "supposed" to say things like that, because it is not politically correct, right?

I read an article today about a girl who was reprimanded in school for using the phrase "that's so gay" after fellow classmates were teasing her about being Mormon. (For those of you who do not know, "that's so gay" is a phrase that often means "that's stupid, that's ridiculous, etc.") The principal said that he would not tolerate this statement because of how it affects gay students. What I noticed was completely not addressed in the article was the fact that the girl was being teased by her classmates for her religious sect. Now, I am not Mormon and I don't agree with their doctrine, but it seems to me that the "gay card" has trumped the "religion card". It is okay to ostracize someone about religion, but not okay to use a comment that offends homosexuals? That really bothers me.

It is my prayer that Satan will lose some of his foothold on our media, our schools and our country. I had hoped that 9/11 would open some eyes, and I know that some Americans did open their eyes, but it appears that some have forgotten. I pray that our country will once again turn the the Lord for strength and guidance. We need it more than ever!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are great thoughts and I agree with them. I still hope that it's not as bad as it seems sometimes and that the media just spins things. Probably just wishful thinking though.