After being on medicine for about four days now, Zach is definitely back to his old self and doing much better. We did another chest x-ray today and it looks like the pneumonia is gone. Unfortunately, that does not mean we are done with medicine. Zach has been extremely unhappy with having to take his meds. The worst one is taken twice a day. I have been mixing it with juice, which takes him a very lengthy time to drink, but he gets it down nonetheless. We have had probably twenty discussions about whether or not he has to keep taking these meds and he is convinced that he is being tortured by us and has asked me several times to "take his sickness" from him. If only I could!
This is the first time he has ever been on an antibiotic (yes, I was being serious about the never sick thing) and so we had a few surprises with how he reacted to it. It gave him so serious stomach issues for the first couple of days. Luckily, that has passed.
By yesterday, I thought I was living in a parallel universe. Zach was "bored" of TV, which I never thought possible. I was down to reorganizing my cabinets, which was actually a treat for me (I know that is really messed up, but I just love organizing). Worst of all, I was looking forward to the fact that I would get to go to Wal-mart in one more day. Yes, that is right. I was looking forward to going to Wal-mart. I had not planned on being homebound when I began this week, and had actually planned to do some grocery shopping on Monday. However, when Zach was diagnosed, we felt it was in his and other people's best interest to keep him at home. I didn't want him to catch anything else, and I didn't want anyone to catch what he had. So, as you can imagine, my pantry was almost completely empty by yesterday. It was getting serious. And then on top of that, I am just not someone who can hang around at home for days on end. Maybe once in a while I will relish in a day, or even a weekend, where we stay in, but by yesterday I was beginning to lose my mind.
This morning after Zach's chest x-ray, we went and ran a few errands (post office, haircut for him) and then we went to Wal-mart. And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed knowing that soon my pantry would be restored! I was even fortunate enough to have a pleasant cashier with a decent head on her shoulders!
While we were in line, Zach said he was very thirsty, and while I normally do not allow him to do so, I let him pick out a bottled soft drink. He picked out Orange Slice. He insisted that I try it because it was so good. Guess what? One sip instantly took me back to the spring of 2001, sitting in a clinic, guzzling an orange drink in anticipation of a pregnancy diabetes test (I think everyone has to do those now). It made me want to gag. I guess orange soda is decidedly out for me forever!
2 comments:
I'm glad that Zach is on the mend. I totally understand about the orange aversion. I have many smells that take me back to those pregnancy days. And they are usually not fond memories.
well, it sounds like you have been in our world and vice-versa. we did not actually have pneumonia, but they are watching out for it. i can totally relate to the meds and the trying to get it down them. she has to take mucinex and she hates it! glad to hear he is doing better. we definitely like our no sick kids too. i hear you, sista on the whole exprerience!
Post a Comment