Last night I began "Project: Closets" by starting in Zach's closet. This is where I discovered that my child did, indeed, have more than six long sleeve shirts. This is also where I discovered:
- shoes that had been long outgrown,
- a pillow sham that went to some bedding that I already gotten rid of,
- several jackets of mine that were crammed in the back, are circa 1994 and need to be thrown out
- all of the Christmas shirts that I had put away for Zach to wear this past year...oops!
- Zach has almost as many pairs of shoes as I do, especially when you add in the ones that did not fit.
It is interesting what you can find in a closet. But that, of course, got me thinking. If I were to think of my innermost self as my closet, what would be in it?
- Something I have held on to for no good reason? (like the shoes...)
- Something left over from issues already supposedly dealt with? (the pillow sham...)
- Something that I should have gotten rid of long ago? (the out-dated jackets...)
- Something that I have kept to myself and should have shared? (the Christmas shirts...)
Cleaning out the closets in our home is a semi-annual event that I thoroughly enjoy. But I have decided that I also need to clean out the closets in my heart. They can get junked up with things that I don't need and I can forget what is in there that is really important.
I enjoy cleaning closets because it gives a sense of renewal, peace and accomplishment. It makes life easier to not have the clutter. It makes me realize that if I will clean out the clutter in my life, I will experience that same peace.
3 comments:
That was very deep there in the closet girl! Very true though. Hope your week is going well!
yes, deep thoughts by jennifer binkley! loved it though and we all need to clean closets. your words flowed and i felt as if i was reading an inspirational book!
eat at underwoods for me, man i crave that place. i will have to come see you, so i can eat there!
Ben loves "hand me downs" - I'm glad you feel cleansed. Keep it up - Mel Fitz
Post a Comment