Saturday, May 03, 2008
Like a Sore Thumb
In case you have ever wondered, it turns out that the thumb on your right hand, particularly when you are right-handed, is indeed a very useful addition to the fingers on said hand. I learned this very lesson this week when I had a very unfortunate incident with this lovely Pampered Chef tomato slicer, which I borrowed from a friend. As I was commenting on how wonderful the thing was to use, and how much I wanted to beg Gary to let me buy one, I managed to slice my thumb. Instead of asking for the slicer, I found myself at Gary's office begging for him not to make me get a tetanus shot. I was able to not need stitches, but had to wear a huge bandage around my thumb for two days while it healed a little and became less sensitive. Turns out there are a lot of nerves in your thumb! But my thumb and I are on the road to recovery and I am learning to compensate for the temporary loss of 1/10 of my digits. And I am once again reminded to be grateful for the things which I take for granted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
OUCH! i can picture that in my head and feel your pain. i have sliced my fingers one too many times. glad you are ok and did not need stitches. lucky for you to be married to a DR. and - coming from an experienced left thumbed person, it works just as well!
I'm glad you're thumb is better. It sure makes the friend who loaned you the slicer feel a little less guilty. And thanks for keeping her anonymous!
Post a Comment