Our Christmas-decorated home was ready for Zach's presents which I bought at 5 a.m. (yes, again, I am crazy and do this every year. No, I never risk life or limb for anything. I would run if I thought there would be any drama surrounding a product. Not worth it.)
This year I majorly scaled back Christmas decorations. We only have two trees up, one in the living room and one in Zach's room. This is mainly due to space issues with being in a rent house (but truthfully it was nice to be done with decorating in just a few hours).
We are so excited about Christmas this year. Gary has over a week off around Christmas, so we will have plenty of flexibility like never before with seeing family and doing whatever we want. We have never had that much time off for him in December, and it is a present all of itself.
I say this every year, but truthfully I am always shocked when December comes. It is always hard to believe yet another year has passed. The time does fly by, and it always truly does surprise me. I remember when I was a kid feeling like Christmas would never come, and now as an adult I feel like I no sooner have put away the presents before it is time to start all over again. But December is here...a time of family and reflection. A time to remember that a fresh start is on its way again.
When we approached 2009 we weren't sure exactly what it had in store for us. As I put away our Christmas items last year, I knew that we were on the verge of changes, but didn't know specifically what or where they would be. Now here we are, December is here, again. We are in a new town, a new home, and have our first "non-Santa" Christmas. It is a lot of new. And as I unpacked our Christmas decorations the familiarity of Christmases past made me smile. I have a new appreciation for traditions. They help you remember and feel at home, no matter where you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment