I determined last night that I was slacking a bit on my new job of “stay-at-home-mom.”(aka SAHM) I had envisioned myself accomplishing so many tasks, errands and all the while keeping up a spotless home. I had done quite well until a week or so ago when we went out of town, had birthdays and related events all in the same week. That was when things began to turn upside down. I was slacking off a little, and I knew that were this a “real” job with “real” pay, I probably would have been fired. I have always been a hard worker at every job I have ever had, but somehow I had slacked on this one. Maybe because I have never lived at any of previous workplaces. When I realized that Gary no longer had pressed clothes in the closet and there were dishes sitting in the sink, I vowed that today I would start anew.
I woke up at 7 am, and was ready to begin my day. (I had previously been allowing myself to stay in bed until 8 am, but this was the new, hard-working SAHM.) I first made coffee, and pressed clothes for Gary to come home to change into. (He was at the hospital from 4:30 am until 8:00 am.) I made myself a nutritious bowl of oatmeal, got dressed, and began my day. I knew that laundry needed to be tackled in a major way. Much of it needed to be done, and much of it needed to be folded and put away. I was feeling quite accomplished by noon.
It is now 1:30 pm. I just pulled a sandal, a fire truck and a sports car from the washing machine. Not sure how they all got past me, but none-the-less they did. I also noticed that even though Zach was supposed to be outside playing, he had disappeared from view. He was behind a tree, undoing his pants, ready to use the bathroom in our yard, which presently had a nice little audience of around four city workers who were trimming limbs in the alley. I also have a mound of shirts and pants which I cannot even carry in one armload to iron.
I am not feeling so accomplished right now, but I am still determined. I can do this SAHM thing. I know I can….but it is clearly the hardest job I have ever had…and the most rewarding!
4 comments:
I totally agree about it being the hardest job ever. I had to get into a routine to accomplish anything. A lot of my friends have used www.flylady.com and have liked it. I already did several of the first steps of it so I skipped a lot but having my days set again really helps. Send everything out to the cleaners that you can afford to! That used to be one of my regular errands when Trent had a coat and tie job! Hang in there, I feel ya.
It's so hard because nothing gets left at the office... it's always there waiting for us to finish! Give yourself a break, you will settle into a routine and things will go fine! Although, I will say I never seem to get it all done!
Oops, that was www.flylady.net sorry.
hey, don't fret. we give ourselved too high of expectations... we create more jobs to be done then we did when we were working an "out of home job" so the list goes on and i go longer ignoring the list. i just try to have fun and enjoy the time. i especially don't get things done with a pregnancy, one at home, and one that has to be at school at 7:15 am. my list is unattainable. i bet you are doing way more than you think. it's just different without someone grading it!
Post a Comment