Friday, September 07, 2007

A Little Perspective

Sorry that I have not updated in a while. We have had yet another crazy week. This time it was my "first day of school" because the preschool is up and going. After having a really relaxing Monday, and forcing myself not to go work on my room, I went up to the school all day Tuesday to get ready for my very first "Meet the Teacher Night." Turns out that when you are the music teacher, very few parents come to meet you. (I needn't have stressed so much!)

Wednesday morning, I arrived with all kinds of expectations...very high expectations. What I had forgotten was that almost half of these precious little angels had never been to school before. They were in major need of learning how to be at school, and not so much in need of learning music. So I spent most of Wednesday wrangling children and my day did not run as smoothly as I had hoped. In fact, I was pretty unnerved by it all. Wednesday afternoon, I came home and just tried to go through in my mind what I could do to improve my classes.

I spent almost all of yesterday doing laundry, putting away laundry, cleaning house, etc. My previous week had left me with plenty to do! We were so behind on laundry! Before I knew it I was picking up Zach from school, taking him to soccer practice (where I got to assemble to largest "portable" goal I have ever seen), and then we had church directory pictures. When I got home and got Zach into bed, I set out to make a very successful plan from the ideas that had been milling in my head over the past 24 hours.

I had already planned to do "silly songs" on Friday, and so I decided to make visual aids that would captivate and keep the attention of the children. I printed off more clip art than you can imagine to make all of my nifty make-shift manipulatives. My hard work paid off because today was much, much better.

Had I not had Wednesday to compare it to, I might not have seen today as a success, but it really was! Had I not had last week to compare this week to, I might have thought it was a bad week, but it really wasn't. I saw a friend today who is going through many huge decisions in her life right now, and I realized that no matter how bad any of my weeks had been, I was still having a better week than her. It is amazing what a little perspective will do.

1 comment:

Lisa Renee said...

Jennifer I know you are perfect for this job. Those kids are lucky to have you! You are amazing with children and I miss seeing you in the midst of it all! I too had my first week but it was all together aweful. I am hoping for some change and a better week next week. Perspective is a good thing, its not the end of the world but man it effected my entire family! You are doing such a great job of balancing all that out! God is going to bless all of your work.