Sunday, September 30, 2007

The "Crouk"

Well, so far in the past few months, we have seen the doctor more than we have ever before! (We are awaiting an appointment on Thursday to take care of those shots!) On Thursday night, I had just read this sweet gal's post about her son, Jonah, having croup.

Much to my amazement, at around 2:30 am Gary and I awoke to what sounded like a seal barking at our bedside. As I rubbed my eyes, I realized it was poor Zach. He was so worked up over his cough and difficulty breathing that he was making it worse. Gary and I calmed him down and got him into some steam and then eventually all was well.

On Friday morning, Zach seemed to be doing okay, so away he went to school at off I went to teach preschool. I am in my preschool classroom from 8:30 until 12:30, and my cell phone had not rung, so I went off to do my duties as a floater from class to class and left my cell in my room. At around 1, Gary came barging in to the two year old room, where I was helping and said that Zach was sick and the school and everyone else had been trying to reach me. Oops! Not my proudest mommy moment!

I raced up to the school and got him and then we went to Gary's clinic. He was running 102.6, so we gave him some Tylenol and got him an appointment with the pediatrician on call, since ours was off that day. The doctor agreed that Zach had croup, gave us some cough syrup and said no soccer on Saturday. (I was more cautious about this cough since it had not been long since he had pneumonia.)

Zach has been talking on and on about having the "crouk" and how horrible it is. He hates being sick! Most of all he can't stand not being able to play with his friends, as was the plan for our weekend. (Truthfully, I was glad to have a reason to not leave the house...it was so relaxing!) The worst of it is, he takes it very serious when he talks about the "crouk" and it takes everything I have not to crack up when he says it.

Thankfully, he is not running fever today and is feeling much better. Looks like the "crouk" is on its way out!

3 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

That little guy has had more than his fair share this year hasn't he!! You are such a good mother Jennifer-your boys are blessed to have you. Hope your week starts out well sweet girl.

Alisha Stewart said...

Poor guy! I am usually pretty calm when my kids get sick, but it's pretty scary when your child can't breathe. You feel so helpless.
I'm glad that he is on the mend. I can just see Zach talking about the "crouk". That cracks me up:)

Larissa said...

Yes, I remember you! Thanks for delurking yourself...you're funny. Thanks so much for what you said. It means a lot to me. I appreciate your support and encouragement!