Okay, I am aware that I will not be receiving "Mother of the Year" for this post. I am okay with that. I just HAVE to get this off of my chest!
I am incredibly disappointed in the turn that has been taken with children's programming. When I was a kid (and yes, it is incredibly depressing to be saying that dreaded phrase myself), cartoons were safe. The Smurfs. Scooby Doo. Rainbow Brite. Mr Rogers. My mother could safely let me flip on the TV early on Saturday, eat a bowl of cereal and just be a kid. Now I spend most of my time watching the cartoons with Zach making sure that he is not being taught phrases or ideas that we do not approve of. Why can't children's TV be just that? Why do movies made for kids have to contain inuendos? Why aren't we satisfied to keep things as innocent as they are? I know that it is not good for our children to watch TV. I don't let Zach watch a lot. But, when he does get to watch, I don't appreciate the battle I am faced with. Now that he is on the edge of being "too big for DragonTales and Dora" I am not sure what he will be watching.
I long for things to go back to how they used to be. I want to be able to provide more wholesome entertainment for my son. Until the creators of these shows tone it down a bit, I will always feel an obligation to screen my son's programming, and I will always worry about those children whose parents don't.
2 comments:
I TOTALLY agree. I posted about the same frustration a while back. We pretty much do morning T.V. and that is it now. How did the birthday party go? Has pre-school started yet? We are home now, SO much cooler here. Never thought I would say that. A lot greener too!!!! Also never thought that could happen!
I TOTALLY agree. I posted about the same frustration a while back. We pretty much do morning T.V. and that is it now. How did the birthday party go? Has pre-school started yet? We are home now, SO much cooler here. Never thought I would say that. A lot greener too!!!! Also never thought that could happen!
Post a Comment