Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thursday 13: Reasons I Hate Moving

So many of my friends have been doing the Thursday Thirteen. I thought I would join in on the fun...so here goes:

1. Leaving friends behind. We are really going to miss all of our friends here.

2. Boxes everywhere. I can't stand the disorder in my house!

3. Not knowing what to pack...what to wait on. Since this has been a move over the course of a month, I have had a hard time determining what is "essential" and what can be packed.

4. The annoying sound of the packing tape. When you are putting it on a box, it has this loud, high-pitched sound that is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

5. Not being able to find things that I suddenly need...and not knowing which box they are in or at what house.

6. Knowing that I will have tons of papers to go through when we get moved in...because I chose to just throw them in a box and deal with them later. (By the way, I am taking a survey. How long does everyone keep their paid bills? Can they be thrown away after they are paid?)

7. Looking at blank walls. I never realized how much pictures and other decorations transformed a home until we have been living without them for the last month.

8. Finding boxes that we never unpacked from the last move. Why, oh why, do we keep moving these things?

9. My car having to be parked out of the garage. Gary and I have my dad's trailer (which we very much appreciate) loaded with boxes for the next trip where my car should be. It is so hot in my car when I get in now!

10. Dumpster diving for more boxes. I feel really embarrassed when I am parked at the back of a store frantically digging for some "good boxes".

11. Worrying that something I like will get broken. I wrap my things with newspaper and mark "fragile" but I just know that before this is all said and done, something will be destroyed.

12. Possibly losing HGTV. I am an addict...and it appears that our new cable company does not offer this fine channel. For about $40 a month more we can keep the satellite and get it...but then that would be pretty crazy!

13. Leaving the first house Gary and I bought. It is very sentimental to me. This is the home that we hand-picked, decorated and we have made many memories in. This is where Zach moved to a big-boy bed, potty-trained, and grew from baby to boy. It is sad to leave it.

4 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

We keep our bills with the check number and the date we paid them, well now with the computer print out, for a year and then shred them. I remember these thirteen feelings. Hopefully it will be your last for quite a long time. I am married to someone that does not like to stay put real long so I am dreading the days to our next one!

A D said...

It will be over soon!!

Anonymous said...

I love this list! How true. I will admit, with no shame, to the dumster diving for boxes as well. When we bought our house last year friends would tell us about all the great boxes that U Haul has for sell. Bob and I kept thinking "pay for boxes?!?--crazy"

We have found a goldmine of boxes. There is a coffee shop near our home that usually has a dozen boxes of various sizes at any given time ready for the taking. They are good, thick boxes and they smell like coffee--bonus. They know people take them so they dont even bother putting them in the "paper products only" dumpster in the back, they simply leave them near their back door. Love it.

Thanks for sending the update on The Binkley's. We are proud of Gary!

Anonymous said...

I love this list! How true. I will admit, with no shame, to the dumster diving for boxes as well. When we bought our house last year friends would tell us about all the great boxes that U Haul has for sell. Bob and I kept thinking "pay for boxes?!?--crazy"

We have found a goldmine of boxes. There is a coffee shop near our home that usually has a dozen boxes of various sizes at any given time ready for the taking. They are good, thick boxes and they smell like coffee--bonus. They know people take them so they dont even bother putting them in the "paper products only" dumpster in the back, they simply leave them near their back door. Love it.

Thanks for sending the update on The Binkley's. We are proud of Gary!