Thursday, December 06, 2007

Time for a Change

Our lives are about to dramatically change. I can just feel it.

Well, okay, that is a bit of an overstatement, but our TV viewing lives have definitely just taken a big turn. Today we had broadband Internet, TV and phone installed and we have a DVR. I have heard all of our friends talking about their addiction to them and the freedom that they provide, and I could not be more excited.

When we moved to our small town, we were presented with two options for TV. You can hook up to the local cable company. Only about 30 channels, but only about $30/mo. Or you can get satellite, but that was going to cost us around $90/mo when it was all said and done. Not being the biggest TV watchers in the world, we decided it was a no-brainer. (It is not an option to use an antennae to get local channels here. There are no local channels that an antennae can receive.) We also got what sounded like a great phone package* with unlimited long distance (only one phone company to use here) and as you might remember, we eventually switched our dial-up account to a DSL line. So we were in pretty good shape. (*the phone package ended up costing about twice what I was quoted after all the fees and taxes.)

Then in January when we got some big ice storms, the NBC station provided by the cable company went out. We were without NBC for about five months. I am an avid, and generational, Today Show viewer, so this was not taken lightly. But the cable company insisted there was nothing they could do. We periodically would lose other channels too. In response to this, some local citizens decided to form a new Broadband company that would provide a package deal for TV, phone and Internet. The TV package would have about 100 channels, maybe more. I called them as soon as I read about it in the local paper, but they were not ready to install in homes yet. Then, a few months later the cable company sent out a notice that our bill would be going up to $48/mo, we would have NBC again and they would add a few more channels, namely HGTV! When I say a few, I mean a few. I think they added about eight channels to "justify" the price hike. Again, I called about the broadband and they said that they would be set up in our neighborhood soon.

Fast forward a few more months and we learned that they were finally in our area. With the impending purchase of a new TV in the works, we decided we definitely wanted to make the change, so I went by there Monday and today it is installed. How is that for service? I even asked if they could come at 10:30 and they were here promptly. I was very, very impressed.

So I have already set my new DVR to record "Grey's Anatomy" tonight. Last year I had used our VCR to record, because we were that antiquated around here. Then the remote quit working, so I had to rely on a sweet friend with a DVR to let me come to her house to watch any missed episodes. I also have set the DVR to record "Scooby Doo" for Zach because it comes on while he is at school and it is his favorite show. (He is very excited that: 1) we now have a channel that shows it, and 2) we have a DVR that can record it.)

So, friends, when you call, I can just pause the TV. I won't have to worry about evening plans, because I will just set my DVR. I can even watch shows when I want to watch them.

Yes, I am feeling very modern these days.

5 comments:

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

You. will. love. DVR.

Laura said...

Let me just tell you that I am somewhat addicted to TiVo (a cousin to DVR). It's the BEST!!! In fact one of the first and biggest fights Sam and I had was over him erasing some of my shows! He learned really quickly not to mess with my TiVo!

Anonymous said...

Are you having a baby?

The Binkley Family said...

Nope. No baby...but I will take the hint that I need to drop a few pounds!

Unknown said...

Don't drop a few pounds you look great in all your pics! Besides that... all dropped pounds that end up in the world end up on my backside! :)

We got Tivo last year for the first time and Scott and I spent some time on one of our "date nights" without kids to figure out all the exciting things we could record and watch later. We are just that pathetic.