Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday Night Lights

You know that you are in a small Texas town when your entire fall social life revolves around high school football games. We realized shortly after our move that we would be social outcasts if we did not get season tickets to the football games. We realized after the first game that we also needed the proper T-shirts, etc. So, here we are, getting ready to head out to a "tailgating" party with about fifty other people. It is the big homecoming game! From the outside looking in, it must sound silly (and look sillier...if that is a word), but I guess when you live in a small town without much else to do, it is something fun to look forward to. Never in a million years did I think that I would be attending high school football games past the age of 18, with the exception of the slight chance my son would one day play (which, by the way, I hope he chooses another sport). But, here we are. Attending every high school home game. Season ticket holders. Decked out in maroon and white. It is a phenomenon that TV primetime is trying to explain...it is really quite simple. There really isn't much else to get excited about. And that is okay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to small town country living. Don't think you can escape it that easy. You will either be taking him to watch the games or to watch him in the band or on the sidelines as the football manager...

Unknown said...

This is too funny. HS football was a culture shock for me when I moved from CA. I swore it off for good while I was in college. People say Ethan will be a football player because of his build, but I tell them he can't because I can't go to any more High School games.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I love high school football. Especially the Friday night games. Come to think of it, it just isn't the same if the game is on Thurs night or Sat. afternoon. There's something so fun about getting dressed in your favorite team's colors and going out to cheer them on. By Nov., though, when the playoffs start, I'm ready for it to be over. So, I guess I'm not really that dedicated of a fan!

Lisa Renee said...

HA! That is great. I still don't understand when people ask ME about Tech. Like I care, I have no affiliation, I did not go to school there and have only lived here a few years. It cracks me up how many die hard fans they have that have no background with it. I loved highschool football when I was in highschool and like to go to them if a friend is associated somehow. In fact, I am totally addicted to Two A Days on MTV. I guess if that is the only thing going on, you have embraced it well. You are so sweet Jennifer and have such a better attitude than me!