At my age, I figured I had already passed most "firsts". I have had my first kiss, my first car, my first job, my first baby....etc... I had forgotten one important first....my first traffic ticket. Today, I can say that is one milestone that has now, too, passed. Today as I was heading to meet some friends for lunch, Zach was talking away in the backseat and I was mentally trying to decide what else I needed to get done for the day. I approached a traffic intersection and was going to turn right on red. I noticed that it was clear, so I briefly stopped and turned. I heard a siren in the background and assumed that it was a firetruck (we were very close to the fire station). I looked in the rearview mirror and to my horror there was a police car following ME. I wasn't sure why, but I obediently pulled over. Zach was in panic mode. He just knew I was going to jail. He asked me why we had been pulled over and I told him, I wasn't sure. When the officer approached, I could tell I would be getting a ticket for whatever it was that I had done. Long story short, I failed to make a "full and complete stop" and I now have ten calendar days to take care of my first citation. Lesson learned. I now will make full and complete stops. I also will now be taking defensive driving.
I also learned that, according to the police officer, while I may call myself a "homemaker" I am only a "housewife." Those were his words. Wasn't that sweet? He also informed me that being a "housewife" is a good decision because kids whose moms don't stay home get into trouble. Glad he could share his opinions with me. The most interesting twist? Since we are in such a small town, I learned from an inside source that this almost 60 year old officer has never been married and still lives with his mother.
**************************************************

Here is a pic of Zach delivering me a "letter" yesterday. He actually drew me a picture, put in an envelope, put "Zach" in the return address section, went in the back yard, walked along the pathways, came to the back door and delivered it to me. (And all this on a postal holiday!) While I never told him my "sob story" of closed banks and post offices, he must of sensed my sadness....It really is pathetic, but getting the mail is really a high point in my day. Aren't kiddos sweet to cheer us up?!
2 comments:
What a blank! I could not think of anything that could be typed. That stinks. Sorry, but I am amazed that you have never been pulled over before! Not that I think you should be! I think that is so cute, Zach delivering the mail! Will you e-mail me your new address? Hope today was better and that you still had a nice lunch with your friends!
Isn't it funny how kids can sense things. I can't wait to see you in a couple of wks.
april
Post a Comment