Monday, November 26, 2007

Married to the Mob

I have been known, on occasion, to be a part of the holiday "Black Friday" mob. This year was no exception. Gary and I decided....well, let me clarify that this was mainly a Gary decision....to purchase a flat-screen HDTV for our den in lieu of exchanging presents between each other. And so Gary took the greatest interest he has ever shown in the Thanksgiving newspaper ads. (If you don't know my husband, he has been known to squeeze a dime from two pennies.) And alas, we had a plan for where we would park ourselves at a little before 6 a.m. As Gary and I took our place in the mob of people, it became clear that we were not going to be even remotely close to being one of the thirty lucky people to get a voucher to purchase the TV we wanted.

But, you know, when you have gotten up at 5 a.m., you hate to just give up without really trying. So when we had fought our way through the crowds and confirmed with fellow mob members that, yes, we would be leaving the store empty-handed, we decided to enjoy a nice breakfast at our local IHOP. (On a side-note, I should mention that we had drug Gary's eighty-something grandparents with us on this lovely early bird venture.)

But my very determined husband could not get away from the mobs. We went from store to store trying to find a great deal, but once again, we were too late. Gary continued to marvel at the craziness of the mobs, which I was too kind to remind him he was a part of.

If you guessed that we came home without a TV, you are right. We did not. Now Gary thinks we should wait to see if we can get some incredible deal at the after-Christmas sales. And so, I suppose on December 26, my husband will once again join the mob in his venture for a great deal.

4 comments:

Larissa said...

You're welcome! I've been meaning to do that for some time!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Just a little hint from the wife of a former Sam's employee that sold many a TV in his day: Wait until mid to late January. All the sales start again in preparation for the Super Bowl.

Also, if you purchase at Sam's and they go down on the price later, within 30 or 90 days of purchase(I'll have to check) just take your receipt in and they will refund you the difference. And you might also think about upgrading your membership to get an extended warranty.

We did the exact same thing last year (bought for c-mas, waited until Jan to actually purchase) and we ended up getting a lower price, plus about $250 more when they dropped it even lower.

Alisha Stewart said...

I can't believe Gary actually braved the crowds! That's pretty impressive. We went to Macy's in search of a pre-lit tree they had on sale for $99, but I suppose 10 AM was a little too late. All of the trees had been sold out since
6 AM. Who would have guessed?
To answer your question about Afghanistan, I didn't even notice. I'll change it as soon as I figure out how.

realitymomma said...

well, i can top you. i started at midnight the night before. the outlet malls in san marcos are opened all night. so i was there. then it was easy to be at the places i wanted to be at 4:45am. it was nice to get the things i was after, but i sure did pay the next day. i don't think i am as young as i used to be??????